- Ksh700 Billion to be Invested to Complete Pending Kenyan Road Projects
- $13.8 Billion Kenya-Ethiopia Railway Construction Plans Resume
- Lake Victoria Basin Project Receives Sh355 Million for Phase II Constructions
- Zanzibar Signs a USD 428 Million Agreement to Expand Pemba Airport
- Tanzania government plans to construct 2000 kilometres of roads in 2023
- Project to Build a Dual Carriageway on Kiambu Road in Kenya
- Kasanga port in Tanzania to expand capacity
- The Old Mombasa Road will be upgraded to meet the requirements of the Nairobi Expressway.
- Tanzania would be one of the top economies in 2023
- Project Timeline and Information for the Tanzania Standard Gauge Railway (SGR)
Ghana plans to reconstruct the Western Rail line
The government of Ghana has plans to reconstruct the Western Rail line which will begin from Takoradi all the way to Kumasi. The project will also include a branch rail line that will begin from Dunkwa stretching to Awaso.
Speaking at the Front End Engineering Design (FEED) forum, the Transport Minister, Mrs. Dzifa Attivor, confirmed that the project completion has been estimated to cost US$1bn. She further explained that purpose of the project is to modernize the Western Rail line whereby modern rail stations, ancillary facilities and terminals will be introduced to offer smooth, timely and safe services.
However, 38 stations along with 2 terminals and other facilities will undergo renovation courtesy of the Western Rail line reconstruction project. Furthermore, over 200 bridges and culverts will also undergo reconstruction given that a provision of a more realistic total estimation cost will be conducted.
A state-of-art telecommunication and signaling will also be put in place along with the reconstruction of the workshops and running sheds among other facilities. The Western Rail project will be executed under the Ghana Railway Development Authority (GRDA), whereby the project preliminary designs will offer a transparent platform for private sector investors eyeing the project.
Initially, the design of the Western Line was primarily initiated by an Italian consultant company known as Messrs Team Engineering SpA. The company was funded by the government of Ghana.
Ghana railway sector is currently facing challenges through lands encroachment and land destruction brought about by the country’s illegal miners, however, the rail systems will fully be implemented in line with the country’s Railway Master Plan as well as protecting the land set aside for the railway sector.
Posted on : 30 Nov,-0001